AUSTIN, TX, November 29, 2012– Macheen Inc., a mobile cloud application service provider for connected devices, announced that it has received a strategic investment from Qualcomm Incorporated. Qualcomm, the world leader in 3G, 4G, and next-generation wireless technologies, invests in emerging technologies and business models that accelerate and expand the wireless market. Terms of the investment were not disclosed.
Macheen’s innovative platform addresses the increasingly critical need for devices (beyond smart phones) to have constant access to the necessary Internet and cloud services. Its white-label solutions can be customized to best fit its partners’ device, content and service models, whether for general consumers, corporate end-users or specialized vertical markets. Backed by a global set of network operator relationships, Macheen manages the entire process, including payments, settlements and customer service, leaving device and VAR partners free to focus on new content or service offerings that turn devices into recurring revenue opportunities with constantly-connected customers.
The world of traditional mobile broadband—expensive monthly plans defined by lengthy contracts—is a one-size-fits-all-model that meets the needs and real-world preferences of only a fraction of mobile users. In comparison, Macheen’s platform enables a uniquely flexible connectivity solution with Pinpoint Services and attractive economics, resulting in greater choice for end-users and new monetization opportunities for device manufacturers, value-added resellers, content and cloud service providers, and network operators. Macheen’s Pinpoint Services enable selectable cloud applications to be always-connected and available for all devices, opening the door to a variety of application delivery options including:
- Always On Application Subscriptions: Rather than users paying for access to the entire Internet, they pay only for those services or applications that they want anytime, anywhere, such as news, social networking or cloud-based productivity applications including email or sales/CRM packages like salesforce.com.
- Locked down network applications and support for corporate Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD): Any combination of network applications can be pre-defined with a customized service plan. This enables an enterprise account or vertical industry solution to be delivered to the end user with only those applications “hot” and prepaid. A range of built-in policies can be enforced, such as whether the end-user is allowed to buy other Internet access on a different account.
- Sponsored Access: Many digital device users gravitate to premium content, applications and services when access is readily available and offered at no cost to the end user. In return for sponsored advertising or other promotional offers, users can gain limited free access to the entire Internet or anytime access at no cost to sponsored sites, services or applications.
- Spot Access to the Internet: Flexible, no-contract payment options let casual users make spot purchases for as little as 15 or 30 minutes, while power users can purchase one hour, daily and monthly session plans.
Richard Schwartz, Macheen’s President and CEO, commented, “We are pleased to include Qualcomm as a strategic investor in Macheen. Qualcomm’s participation enables Macheen to further grow our industry footprint by aligning upstream in the value chain. This can accelerate mainstream global adoption of connected devices and services.”
“Macheen is an innovator and leader in enabling new mobile broadband business models,” said Steve Pazol, Vice-President of Business Development, Qualcomm. “We believe Macheen has what it takes to accelerate the market for sponsored content and new data subscription models for devices beyond the phone.”
Macheen’s existing investors include North Bridge Venture Capital, Mercury Fund (a partner in the DFJ Global Network of venture funds, with over $7 billion in capital under management), and GemVentures. Also among Macheen’s investment group are prominent angels and industry figures Tom Meredith, Mike Maples Sr. and Yechiam Yemini.
Publicly-announced customers include Dell and Lenovo. Macheen services are today live in 11 countries, spanning both Europe and the United States. More countries and network partnerships are planned.
Additional Information and Resources
• Macheen website
• Lenovo Signs On to Cloud-Based Mobile Broadband as Macheen Inc.’s Latest Device Partner
• Follow Macheen on Twitter or Facebook
Macheen Inc. is a global application service provider for connected devices and services. It offers a comprehensive white label solution for major OEMs, global resellers and application providers to roll out branded “service included” devices and offers. Its flexible cloud-based platform enables innovative mobile business models and connected service offerings that can be tailored to individual device and market segments. Macheen is unique in providing a flexible platform for new mobile broadband subscription models for bundled access, sponsored content and fine-grained subscriptions. Macheen delivers breakthrough value by significantly increasing adoption rates and market penetration of connected CE devices and cloud services. Enrollment Partners include Dell and Lenovo. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Macheen is a global corporation with services active in multiple continents, with wholly owned subsidiaries Macheen GmbH and Macheen Ltd.